Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fun With Your Kids

My name is Liz.  I am a stay at home Mommy of 2 with one on the way!  My daughter Sophia is 5 and Gaia is 2.  Most of the time we are stuck at our farm house in the country with no car.  My husbands car recently blew up resulting in him using the family wagon for transportation and leaving us stuck and bored!
   There are only so many cartoons you can watch in a day, the play dough is dried out, and the kiddie pool is beginning to look like a rubbermaid tub.  I found myself asking, "How on earth do I keep these kids occupied?".
   The first thing I do is every weekend I fill up as much of the following week with play dates.  Not everyone wants to drive all the way out to our house so we usually only get a few.  Then we have our regular daily schedule that I try to stick to just to add a certain flow to our day!  Ok, so on to our fun new ideas....and I will be posting new ideas and projects everyday. 

07/25/2011
Water Color Creations
Yesterday we had a down pour so we filled our day with art projects!  My 2 year old loves to paint and we have these fun water color glitter paints that you can purchase at Discount School Supply.  First we took water color pencils and drew fairies, flowers, landscapes, etc.. then you take the watercolors and paint over your beautiful picture.  The results are beautiful works of art to hang on your fridge or even frame for the wall.
Below is an example of My daughter Sophia's work of art.  These pictures come out allot brighter in person!


Doughy Paint
After we completed our water color creations we made something called  Doughy Paint.  Doughy paint is so much fun for kids, it's something new and exciting!  We got this recipe from a  book called Kids Crazy Art Concoctions by Jill Frankel Hauser. ISBN 1885593287

Ingredients
1/4 Cup Flour
1/4 Cup Salt
1/4 Cup Water
2 tablespoons tempera powder
plastic squeeze bottle

Mix all of your ingredients together, pour into your squeeze bottle and have fun!

After a yummy lunch and an awful attempt at  nap time we filled the girls room with tents.  I'm sure everyone already does this with their children, but it was such a fun part of our rainy day that I just have to add it in.
We took large quilts and sheets, pillows, and Waldorf play clips and turned their room in to a tent world.  We put lots of book, toys and flashlight in their tent.  The girls had a blast for hours reading and making up stories about their new little world.

Thank You for reading my Blog and I'll be adding more tonight after we have another day of fun!
Fellow stay at home parent driven bored
Lizzy Hayes

No comments:

Post a Comment